The breakwaters which enclose Portland Harbour and are encouraged to prove against torpedo attack on notable works especially that which was first made. The older breakwater that starts from Portland occupied 23 years in construction construction, the first stone being laid in 1849, by the prince consort consort, and the stone in 1872. It has two sections having a total length of one and a half miles.
Between them is that gap intended for the passage of vessels, but owing to the strong currents it cannot be used for that purpose. During the first world war the old battleship Hood was sunk across the entrance and is still there. At each end of the breakwater his first circular fort fought won’t with modern armament. The total quantity of stone used would suffice to build a wall 100 feet high, 40 feet thick and five miles long.